My most recent project is a knit dress from a pattern that is now out of print. I made this dress a few years ago with long sleeves and have wanted to make a sleeveless version ever since. Sewists are starting to think of Fall sewing but here on the Central Coast of California we’re about to get our warmest weather of the year and I can’t wait!
I lowered the neckline about 3″ on this version. I also lined the dress with a lightweight knit because my fabric was somewhat sheer. The other change I made was to add an invisible zipper to the back. The dress as drafted has a keyhole opening in the back which works great if your fabric has two-way stretch as recommended on the pattern. My fabric only has crosswise stretch and I was nervous that this might make it challenging to get the dress on and off.
I’m always worried when inserting a zipper in a lightweight knit. I fear this may cause puckering. I applied thin strips of interfacing along the edges before inserting the zipper. This worked out great. The zipper lies nice and flat.
The print is very busy and does not show the front seam gathers very well in the pictures. Below are the line drawings from the pattern. The seams on this dress allow for a wonderful fit.
Below is a picture of the dress I made a few years ago using this pattern.