Our warm weather is just getting going here on the Central Coast of California. I’m still in full summer sewing mode though I have started thinking of my fall wardrobe.
I’ve had this sheath dress on my list to sew ever since it came out in the June 2013 issue of Burda Style magazine. When I saw this 3-dimensional cotton gingham at Tissus Mode de l’Orme in Granby, Quebec I knew exactly what pattern I was going to make with it.
The dress has front and back side insets. The pattern called for piping between the side insets and the front and back pieces which I chose to omit. I may add the piping if I make this dress again, depending on my choice of fabric. Speaking of fabric, my gingham was thin so I chose to line the dress.
Below is a line drawing from the magazine so you can see the detail better. I chose to cut the insets and the pockets on the bias.
This pattern had bias strips at the neckline and pockets which I thought would be perfect for contrasting fabric.
This is a fun summer dress. I found the pattern well drafted and all of the pieces came together nicely. The patch pockets and insets are nice details for this sheath dress.