I haven’t made a button down shirt for a few years. It was time to add some shirts to my wardrobe. After spending some time reading reviews for various shirt patterns I settled on Butterick 5526. For my muslin I chose to use this striped oxford fabric that my neighbor gave me a few years ago when she was going through her stash.
The collar seemed a little wide for my liking so I narrowed it by 7/8″ at the points tapering to nothing towards the center. I’m very happy with the altered collar. Below is my modified pattern piece on top of the original collar.
The other change I made was to add back darts. I’m glad I did because I think it gives the shirt a flattering shape.
I added interfacing to both front edges. The pattern has you simply fold the front twice. I did this but wanted a little more stability so I added some lightweight interfacing. This shirt is a nudge short for me to tuck into my jeans. It would be fine with most of my dress pants because they have a higher rise than my jeans. I’ll probably add some length to it next time.
I found the pattern to be well drafted. Now that I have my muslin sewn up I’m ready to make more shirts. This pattern offers interesting options.