As soon as Vogue introduced this Lialia by Julia Alarcon pattern last year I knew I had to make this for myself. The deep cowl and the open back were striking. The challenge was going to be finding the right fabric. Thankfully there is a wonderful sewing community out there that loves to share their projects. The talented Erica Bunker made a beautiful version of this dress with an Italian stretch polyester crepe from Mood Fabrics. I hurried over to Mood’s website and bought the fabric to make this dress. The cowl requires a drapey fabric and this crepe was perfect.
The instructions were good and the pattern well drafted. I omitted the center front seam but cutting the front skirt on the fold. I added 0.5″ to the length of the bodice (normal for me) and 0.5″ to the length of the skirt and made a 1″ hem instead of the 1.5″ called for by the pattern. The dress is fully lined with the top being out of the fashion fabric and the skirt being from lining of your choice. I opted for a stretch satin.
The cowl is very interesting and allows for different styling options as demonstrated in this picture from Vogue Patterns.
I prefer the cowl but I also like the hooded version. It was windy today so it made taking pictures of the cowl and the hood challenging.
I was not sure how I would feel about this color as I tend to gravitate towards brighter colors but after seeing quite a few RTW dresses in this color I got used to it. I’m so thankful for this sewing community of ours. I get so much inspiration from other sewists. This dress turned out even better than I imagined. I plan on wearing to it to a couple of upcoming events with my fashion photographer. By the way, this fabric is so wonderful I bought a bunch of it in black as well.