I never paid attention to this pattern when I first saw it in the Burda Style magazine. It didn’t strike me as my style. Recently, while out shopping, I spotted a white cotton top with eyelet ruffled sleeves. I thought it was cute and remembered seeing something similar in a Burda Style magazine.
The top I saw had an extra eyelet ruffle as well as a plain cotton one so I added another ruffle and made the smaller armscye seam ruffle in eyelet as well. To add the eyelet ruffle to the sleeve I cut the eyelet a little wider than the seersucker ruffle and basted them together. I then treated them as one piece.
The other change I made was to create neckline facings. The pattern calls for cutting some bias strips and using the strips around the neckline. The facings worked well. I understitched them and they stay nicely in place.
I used seersucker leftover from another project. Coincidentally that project was also a mix of seersucker and eyelet. This top was an easy project. I didn’t refer to the pattern instructions. Even the pattern tracing went well. The pattern pieces were simple and few 🙂
This pattern was not part of my summer to-sew list but I always leave myself open to changes. You never know when inspiration will hit you.