Another solid colored top completed. This one is McCalls’s 7249 sewn in a wonderful French terry from Stone Mountain & Daughter in Berkeley, California. This fabric has four way stretch with wonderful recovery.
I normally sew a size 8 in McCall’s but went down to a size 6 based on reviews by other sewists. I sewed the sleeves in flat. This changes the order of construction. I basted the side seams to check for fit and decided to sew 1/2″ seams instead of the 5/8″ called for by the pattern. I realize that does not sound like a big difference but it was just the little bit needed for the fit I was looking for. I sewed a 1/2″ seam for the sides but transitioned to a 5/8″ seam when I got to the sleeve seams.
The pattern offers the possibility of a dress as well as sleeve variations. I can see myself sewing this again. I could keep adding solid colored tops to my closet but I have so many other patterns and fabrics crying out for attention that I’m moving on for now.
Back to Top
I purchased this medium weight knit from Fabric Mart last year and had a cardigan in mind when I saw the fabric. While flipping through a fashion magazine for inspiration I came across this ad from Dolce & Gabbana.
POW! Inspiration hit me and I knew my fabric had to be a dress. I was not looking to re-create the dress from the ad. I had something in mind: McCall’s 6886. I love that pattern. This is my fourth version of this dress.
I shortened the sleeves by 2″ and added 2″ contrasting bands. I shortened the dress front and back by 5″ and added a 4″ contrasting band. The only other change I made was to add two fish eye darts to the back. The picture below is not a great shot of the back but it does give you an idea of how the dress fits with the darts.
I am very happy with my dress. I love when a vision turns out exactly as planned.
Below are pictures of my three previous versions of this dress. The black panel print is the only one with fish eye darts in the back.
Back to Top
This could also be called “The Dress That Did Not Photograph Well.” We just could not get the right lighting. The dress looks a lot “wrinklier” in the pictures than in “real life”. Though they say the camera never lies…
The fabric is a ponte knit from Fabric Mart that has been in my stash for a while. I sewed the dress using the knit stitch on my sewing machine and then going back to serge the seams with my serger using three threads. I like this finish when sewing knits with patterns that require a 5/8″ seam. I sewed the sleeves in flat which changes the order of construction. The side seams and under arm seams are sewn as one seam after the sleeves have been attached. I always do this when sewing knits. I hand-stitched the hem on the sleeves and dress for no other reason than I felt like it. I enjoy hand-stitching hems while watching T.V. or a movie.
The dress was easy to make and the instructions were clear. I sewed my normal size 8 in McCall’s without any alterations. Gotta love when that happens! The pattern also offers the possibility of a top. I can see myself making a color blocked version of it in the future.
I’m pleased with my dress and consider it a great transition piece for Fall.
Back to Top